Re: ProtocolDataModel issues

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:39:06 -0700, Ezra Cooper <ezra@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had understood that on this team we'd be talking about issues related
> to manipulating the server's objects, including objects that are not
> normally represented in a "feed" (list of entries). In order to do that
> we should set a scope: which objects do we want to be able to
> manipulate using Atom? Here's my proposal:
>
> * Entries
> * Authors (Users, Principals)
> * Feeds/Blogs/Channels/Streams/...
> * Categories
> * Templates

The format spec provides a reasonable prose definition of Entries,
Authors, Feeds and their associated slots of data (using Content
Constructs, Person Constructs, Date Constructs, Link Constructs).

> A Category has properties: name, URI, and (optionally) a type. The type
> could identify a categorization system in which this category
> participates, if it's helpful to know that.
>
> A Template has properties: title, content, URI, MIME Type.

It would be useful to see these defined in a similar way to the model
defined in the format spec. Could you give examples of how these would
be used - what kind of transactions? How they would appear in XML
syntax?

Various folks are working on other schemas and formal modelling. Some
of us are attempting to express Atom in RDF/OWL (see [1], [2]), so
anything that may help putting Categories and Templates into that
model would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2004-08-12/blogexample.html