Re: Meaning of PUT

On 6/14/06, Robert Sayre <sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Tim Bray wrote:
>  I.e. in the first case, we're saying "Client: don't do this."  In the
> second "Server: if the client stupidly requests this, ignore it."

NO. -1. Do not design requirements for servers you know nothing about.
Servers: send an error if a client sends a request you can't deal
with. Do not silently "correct" the request. This is how HTTP works,
it's a normative reference, don't rewrite some busted version in Atom
Protocol. OK?

FWIW, this (Robert's interpretation) is the behavior we've opted for
the GData APP implementation.  If a client sends us extension elements
we don't persist with an entry (for example), we reject it with a Bad
Request http error.

We intend to have some GData stores that will supported client-defined
extensibility (i.e. will except arbitrary XML extensions in certain
locations with some basic constraints, like well-formedness, maximum
size limitations, etc), but again would reject anything that didn't
meet those constraints.

Our design was based upon the the belief that if building a store then
accepting MOST of the client's data wasn't good enough.    It was all
or nothing.   Our definition of "correct" doesn't include silent data
loss.

There may be real world use cases beyond ours that justify this
behavior, but I'm not sure I've heard them yet, mostly it sems like
arguments based upon interpretations of various other specs.

I'd like to understand the reasoning behind the needed flexibility,
particularly in the context of extension elements.

-- Kyle