Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-atompub-protocol-14.txt

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 04:43:49 +0100, James M Snell <jasnell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If that's all you're going to tell me about your servers behavior, I'm
not likely going to use your server for much.

How do you expect Eric's server to tell you about its behaviour if it isn't defined in the specification? Do you expect all APP client implementors to read Eric's "implementation notes" to know how to deal with his APP server?

I'll put my stake in the ground now and pretty bastantly proclaim that if APP doesn't declare whether PUT updates or replaces resources, it will hurt interoperability badly. Not being able to know beforehand what in your entry will and will not be preserved is pretty outrageuos if you ask me.

Not preserving extensions; okay, but not being able to know if a missing <atom:summary /> means «delete the atom:summary element» or «leave the atom:summary element as is» is pretty serious, imnsho.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/