Re: Atom Info Proposal

--- Sam Ruby <rubys@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dare: what does your email client do with the
> following lines?

http://bitworking.org/projects/atom/examples/example-feed.atom

feed://bitworking.org/projects/atom/examples/example-feed.atom

> This is just a single example.

I knew someone would bring up this example but it is
wrong. My email reader highlights the first and not
the second, your implication being that if you use
HTTP URLs you get features like that for free.

BUT...

Are you suggesting that every time I click on a link
to an ATOM feed instead of performing an HTTP GET and
perhaps seeing some XML or some styled HTML such as
Jason Shellen suggests it should invoke my aggregator
and ask if I want to subscribe to the feed?

Thus making it impossible to actually use HTTP with
ATOM?

Or are you guys suggesting that we come up with a new
MIME type that just means subscribe while ATOM has a
seperate MIME type for HTTP GETs?

Hmmm, sounds like overloading a MIME type into acting
like a URI scheme to me.

I await your response.

=====
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #95
My dungeon will have its own qualified medical staff complete with bodyguards. That way if a prisoner becomes sick and his cellmate tells the guard it's an emergency, the guard will fetch a trauma team instead of opening up the cell for a look.