IETF action

I've just been informed that today the IESG met and approved the creation of an IETF Atom Working Group; the announcement should appear on ietf-announce@xxxxxxxx in the next few days. I'm told they looked at the commentary on standards orgs in this mailing list, and considered the fact that (according to Paul) from the beginning of the mailing list to May 1 of this year (about 10 months), about 80 different people had posted 5 or more messages, and about 35 different people had posted 20 or more messages.

So *they* think that we have rough consensus to work in the IETF space. Personally, I agree. I can only speak for myself but I think much of the community would agree that we're flattered at the W3C expression of interest and that this one could have gone either way without much angst.

Unless something happens to convince us that we've misread the community's feelings, I'm going to turn my Atom energies from this to getting us organized; it's painfully apparent that we need issue numbers and draft revisions and so on and so on.

Cheers, Tim Bray http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/