Re: PaceResurrectAutodiscovery

2006/11/23, Henri Sivonen:

The latest WA 1.0 draft covers this as follows:

"If the alternate keyword is used with the type attribute set to the
value application/rss+xml or the value application/atom+xml, then the
user agent must treat the link as it would if it had the feed keyword
specified as well."
http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#alternate0

This conforts me in thinking that the application/atom+xml media type
should be updated to add a "type" parameter with values "feed" and
"entry".
There would be no ambiguity between these two links:
<link rel="alternate" href="application/atom+xml;type=feed"
  title="This is a feed, which happens to be an 'alternate' of the
current page" />
<link rel="alternate" href="application/atom+xml;type=entry"
  title="This is a standalone entry" />

I expect aggregators to allow me to subscribe to feeds (subscribe in
the sense or "watch for new –or updated– entries) or individual
entries (subscribe in the sense of "watch for updates"). With
rel="alternate" and an RSS or Atom media type, those aggregators could
show a "subscribe to this page" button. With an RSS or Atom media type
and another 'rel', they could a "subscribe to {@title}" button.

For example, with these two links:
<link rel="contents" type="text/html" href="/index.html" />
<link rel="contents" type="application/atom+xml" href="/feed.atom" />
a browser could show "Go to Table of Contents" and "Subscribe to Table
of Contents" buttons.

"The feed keyword indicates that the referenced document is a
syndication feed.

"Being a syndication feed" is expressed by the media type, there's no
need for a 'rel' value.

The only reason for such a 'rel' is to replace the "contents" value in
the example above:
<link rel="feed" type="text/html" href="/index.html" />
<link rel="feed" type="application/atom+xml" href="/feed.atom" />
in "blog-like" use-cases where an HTML page serves the same purpose as
a syndication feed, just in an 'alternate' format.

--
Thomas Broyer