Re: New Internet Draft on registering IDNs

At 8:33 AM +0100 3/27/03, Staffan Hagnell wrote:
Well, my point is that the "Allocation all labels" policy could be a bit messy for the owner. Therefore it would be proper to have some sort of information about that, for example:

If the input label contains several characters that have equivalents, the owner could end up having to take care of large number of zones. For instance, if DIGIT ONE is a variant of LATIN SMALL LETTER L, the owner of the domain name llllll.com will have to manage 64 zones.

Sounds fine (with a slight rewording to "llllll.example.com"). I'll add a parallel warning under the blocking section with a different example.

If the input label contains characters that have equivalents, Internet users who don't know what the base characters used in the registration will not know what character to type in to get a DNS response. For instance, if DIGIT ONE is a variant of LATIN SMALL LETTER L, and LATIN SMALL LETTER L is a variant of DIGIT ONE, the user who sees "pale.example.com" will no know whether to type a "1" or a "l" after the "pa" in the first label.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium