Re: New Internet Draft on registering IDNs

paul, et al,

the alternative of allowing the registrant to adjust the subset that is registered from the "bundle" has the nice property that it is the registrant's choice (and responsibility) for the resulting ease of use or lack thereof. I am not sure what to say about the economic position to be taken and perhaps this could be best left to the TLD operator. Excessive "greed" if you will pardon the use of the word, might prove to be a poor business choice, so there might be some balance between a single price regardless of the size of the selected bundle subset and a price equal to registering N distinct SLDs.

Intuition is hard to rely on here since the properties of different languages and chosen rules for "equivalence" will lead to quite a variety of different cases, I would think.

Vint

(p.s. I am particpating in this discussion as an interested party but I hope no one misunderstands any of my opinions as representative of the ICANN board or its IDN committee)

At 07:46 AM 3/27/2003 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>You are proposing something different: the registry allows the registrant to pick which names from the bundle go in either category. It will still have the same problem of option 3, namely typical users of the DNS won't be able to predict what they should type, but it sounds "nicer" than option 3.
>
>What do other folks on this list think of that idea?

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology
WorldCom
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115