Re: New Internet Draft on registering IDNs

A followup on my own message, because I believe what I said was wrong. I said:

Either the system is automatic (no human intervention) and can create many unnecessary alternatives, or it is human-controlled and error-prone.

That's too simplistic. Human-controlled systems that decide what is and is not a variant are error-prone, but human-controlled systems that decide which labels from an automatically-created bundle are not. This ties into Vint's suggestion the other day about non-automatic partitioning the labels in the bundle between allocated and blocked. In this scenario, the registry can say many different things, such as "your bundle contains 1024 entries, and..."

- you can choose which five to put in the zone; the other 1019 will be blocked
- we have chosen the five that we will put in the zone, and the 1019 that will be blocked
- you can put as many as you want in the zone, and it will cost you US$10 per name per year to do so; the rest will be blocked for free
- because your bundle has 1024 names, the base bundle cost is five times higher than if you had chosen a name that only had 128 names; plus, you must pay...

... and so on.

I will cover this additional scenario in my next draft.

More comments on this are welcome!

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium