Framework for IDN Operations

Hi,

I have just submitted 2 drafts on a flexible framework for managing
character equivalence.  More importantly driving towards a generic structure
that can be incorporated into a provisioning protocol.

Charprep:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chung-idnop-charprep-00.txt
Describes a framework for publishing:
- codepoint inclusion table
- character equivalence tables
based on a given script

Zoneprep:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chung-idnop-zoneprep-00.txt
Describes a framework that categorizes Reserved Variants and Zone Variants
into different types:
Primary Domain: originally submitted domain

Reserved Variants (RV):
- Normal RV: blocked from registration and can be activated as Zone variant
by client
- Restricted RV: blocked from registration and cannot be activated
- Automatic ZV: automatically included as a zone variant
- Suggested RV: suggested by the registry to be reserved by the client

Zone Variants (ZV):
- Normal ZV: can have its own delegation NS as well as hosts (function as a
unique domain)
- Same NS: must have same delegation NS as primary domain
- Alias Only: is aliased to the primary domain

Based on the Charprep/Zoneprep framework, I have also drafted an EPP mapping
that introduces a new IDN object (that contains the set/bundle/package of
IDN variants for a give primary domain/domain object):
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chung-idnop-epp-idn-00.txt

I think this IDNOP framework provides a good generic structure that can
accomodate different needs of different registries, while still maintaining
a standard architecture.  For example, registries can just choose to make
the entire RV set Restricted RV, then it is the same as saying that all
variants will simply be blocked.  Or registries may choose to make all RVs
into Automatic ZV, which effectively puts all RVs into the zonefile.  Or
there could be a mixture including Normal RVs that can be activated later.

I am also drafting an IDNOP Guideline that describes a set of best practices
for domain registries for implementing/launching IDNs, more specifically, on
the following topics:
1. Character Equivalence Preparation Policies (and provisioning protocol
considerations)
2. Sunrise and/or land-rush Management (including grandfathering of existing
registered domains)
3. DNS Resolution Considerations (Zone file preparations, DNS request
expectations management, and IDNA client considerations)
4. Domain Dispute Resolution Considerations

Any thoughts or comments will be great.

Edmon