RE: Comparison of hoffman-idn-reg and jseng-idn-admin

At 4:52 PM +0200 4/2/03, Benny Lipsicas wrote:
The language in question is Hebrew. One feature that may be of
importance to us is the ability to prevent certain characters from
appearing anywhere else but at the end of the label (i.e. it can only be
the last char of a label), and we have another issue, which I'm not
certain is in the scope of this list, any label in Hebrew needs to be
written RTL, and if i'm not mistaken, this technically prevents the
mixing of Hebrew and non-Hebrew chars in the same label.

The latter issue is definitely handled by the IDNA standard. Could you explain the reason for the first issue (that a particular character has to be the last character in the label)?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium