RE: Comparison of hoffman-idn-reg and jseng-idn-admin

At 19:01 03/04/03 +0430, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Martin Duerst wrote:

> So a registry registring Hebrew would want to make sure that e.g.
> a kaf in the middle of a label is always U+05DB, but at the end of
> the label is always U+05DA.

But why? First, I'm sure there is a list of Hebrew words that use the
final forms in non-final places (mostly abbreviations). Second, why would
a registry want to prevent such a (complex) thing automatically in this
very low level of character equivalence tables?

Can't a registry just have a complicated script that after one asks for a
label to register tells: Sorry, you can't register this label, because it
"contains the word sex" or "uses FINAL KAF in a non-final position"?

Note that above, I didn't say what means would be used for checking. We could agree that we don't want to do this by tables, but then a document that aims for BCP should mention such cases and clearly say that the tables don't cover everything.

Regards, Martin.