Re: Format of the tables (U+xxxx, UTF-8, etc) Was: Comparison of hoffman-idn-reg and jseng-idn-admin

Hello Stephane,

Thanks for making the subject more explicit.

At 09:35 03/04/03 +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 03:00:31PM -0500,
 Martin Duerst <duerst@xxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 16 lines which said:

> >4. Better syntax for the table. Don't you agree that a U+ABCDU+BCDAU+CDAB
> >syntax is unreadable? Why can't one use a space?
>
> What about using Unicode (UTF-8) directly?
> What about defining an XML format for the tables?
> This would allow to publish tables in ASCII-only contexts
> but also easily view them in a browser with a simple stylesheet.

Good idea but there is already a solution to do so. I suggest that
Paul rewrites his draft according to RFC 2629, which is widely
implemented and already has stylesheets.

RFC 2629 is an XML solution for writing RFCs and Internet Drafts. It is not an XML-based format for the mapping/blocking tables. Also, RFC 2629 has virtually no support for characters outside US-ASCII (some such support was discussed, but hasn't been implemented yet).

An xml-based format for the mapping/blocking tables is something
completely different.

Regards, Martin.