Re: Comparison of hoffman-idn-reg and jseng-idn-admin

At 11:08 AM -0500 4/4/03, Martin Duerst wrote:
One of the overreaching goals of IDN/IDNA was that we would not
have to change anything in the DNS servers. If we now say
"well, we'll just fix this problem by fixing DNS servers",
then don't we invalidate our whole approach?

It is rude to put words in other people's mouths, particularly when the words you put there are stupid.

A zone does not have to create variant tables. A zone that creates variant tables has to decide how those tables will be used in practice. A zone that creates variant tables and practices should consider what the effect of creating those tables would be on both its DNS servers and on its registration system.

This is pretty obvious to people who actually run zones.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium