Re: New Internet Draft on registering IDNs

At 11:31 PM +0200 4/4/03, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
(paul) >We disagree on how to run zones, then.

It really seems you do. However, how to run zones is another political
problem.

Exactly. This document should not say "little zones do this, but big zones do that", particularly if we can't say what is little and big. This document says "if you want to plan, here's what you should do; if you don't want to plan, here are some of the problems you will possibly encounter later".

At first, one would say that if w3.org makes a big mess of its
subdomains (in the eyes of the users of these domains) it is the
problem of the w3.org domain name holder. They made the mess, they
should sort it out. However, if the it spills over into a more
generic bigger fight, can the .org holder be forced to delete the
w3.org delegation so the problem is solved (somewhat) by brute
force?

Nothing in this document suggests that. Of course, any zone (like w3.org, or .org, or the root) can decide to force rules on its sub-zones.

I don't have an answer, but if you generalize this slightly more,
such as .org makes a mess of its IDN delegations, you re likely to
land into ICANN related policy discussions.

Of course. If things for which ICANN is responsible (the TLDs) make a mess, it is up to ICANN to fix it. The same is true for any level of the DNS hierarchy.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium