Re: New Internet Draft on registering IDNs

At 11:43 PM +0000 4/4/03, Adam M. Costello wrote:
Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Every all-ASCII name in a a zone is inherently a bundle of one.

Why just one?

Because there are no variant tables yet.

  When I register a non-ASCII label, I generally get
a bundle containing multiple blocked labels (in your model).  Why
shouldn't the same thing happen when I register an ASCII label?

It could.

Shouldn't an ASCII label block non-ASCII labels that are too similar to
it?

That is up to the registry.

For existing registrations that predate the introduction of the bundling
system, they could each be converted to a bundle, in the order they were
originally registered.

You are assuming that zones keep registration date information; that is a bad assumption.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium