Re: New Internet Draft on registering IDNs

Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > For existing registrations that predate the introduction of the
> > bundling system, they could each be converted to a bundle, in the
> > order they were originally registered.
>
> You are assuming that zones keep registration date information; that
> is a bad assumption.

Indeed, I was making that assumption.  I am astonished that a registry,
which needs to remember a slew of information about the registration
(everything that goes in the whois database) would not include the
original registration date among that info, if for no other purpose than
to serve as evidence in disputes.

But anyway, if a registry really has no record of the original
registration date of the names, I suppose a fair method would be to
expand them into bundles in random order.  Then at least every existing
registrant would have priority over all future registrants for the
variants of its own name, but ties among the existing registrants would
be broken at random.

By the way, this issue is moot in the model I recently proposal, because
in that model bundles do not contain blocked names, only in-the-zone
names; therefore each existing ASCII registration would indeed become a
bundle of one.

AMC