Re: New Internet Draft on registering IDNs

At 10:27 PM +0000 4/6/03, Adam M. Costello wrote:
The primary concern of this group (I think) is that registries prevent
too-similar labels in the same zone from belonging to different
registrants.

Not quite (in fact, not close). The primary concern of the list is to help zones/registries decide:

a) which characters they want in their zones

b) if they want to handle variants

c) if (b), how to decide what goes in the zone and what prevents other registrations

Registries are free to use or not use any of the documents that we are discussing. We are *not* trying to get them to do anything specifically: that is completely their decision. It is particularly inappropriate for anyone who doesn't fully understand a script or language to try to get someone whose zone uses that script or language to do anything in particular.

The trick is to come up with advice that is wide enough for almost any zone that is not so vague as to be useless to all of them.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium