Categorizing the types of variants

----- Original Message -----
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxx>

> At 05:06 14/04/03, James Seng wrote:
> >I believe in a more strip down generic framework on handling of IDNs and
its
> >variants (e.g. registration, deletion, transfer, etc). But the exact
> >algorithm to generate the variants should be defined per language.
>
> Total agreement. This is why language working groups and cross-zone
> Managers are necessary (every "cn" zones across all the TLDs).

While I agree and believe that each language will have their special policy
on management, however I there could still be a more comprehensive framework
that identifies the types of variants that could be categorized.  For
example, for any language (for a given registry/region), there could be two
basic tables:

1. Codepoints Inclusion table: all included codepoints (including necessary
linguistic symbols)
2. Equivalence Set table: codepoint=>{variant set}

>From there, for a zone administrator, there are 4 possible types of reserved
variants generated by a primary domain:
[1] Normal Reserved Variants: blocked from registration, can be activated
into zonefiles
[2] Restricted Reserved Variants: blocked from registration and cannot be
activated
[3] Automatic Zone Variants: automatically included in zonefiles
[4] Suggested Reserved Variants: not blocked for registration, but suggested
by registry

And for zone variants, there are further 3 possible types of management:
(1) Normal Zone Variants: treated as unique domains and can have their own
delegtation NS and child hosts
(2) Same NS: must have same delegation NS as primary domain
(3) Alias Only: set as an alias to the primary domain at the registry

The actual determination (or algorithm if you will) to generate the
resulting variant set for a particular registry/region/language may be
different, but the "types" of variants can be better categorized (especially
to better create a standard provisioning protocol)... and I think these are
the possibilities... can anyone think of any other types?

Edmon