----- Original Message -----
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxx>
At 05:06 14/04/03, James Seng wrote:
I believe in a more strip down generic framework on handling of IDNs and
its
variants (e.g. registration, deletion, transfer, etc). But the exact
algorithm to generate the variants should be defined per language.
Total agreement. This is why language working groups and cross-zone
Managers are necessary (every "cn" zones across all the TLDs).

While I agree and believe that each language will have their special policy
on management, however I there could still be a more comprehensive framework
that identifies the types of variants that could be categorized. For
example, for any language (for a given registry/region), there could be two
basic tables:

1. Codepoints Inclusion table: all included codepoints (including necessary
linguistic symbols)
2. Equivalence Set table: codepoint=>{variant set}

>From there, for a zone administrator, there are 4 possible types of reserved
variants generated by a primary domain:
[1] Normal Reserved Variants: blocked from registration, can be activated
into zonefiles
[2] Restricted Reserved Variants: blocked from registration and cannot be
activated
[3] Automatic Zone Variants: automatically included in zonefiles
[4] Suggested Reserved Variants: not blocked for registration, but suggested
by registry

And for zone variants, there are further 3 possible types of management:
(1) Normal Zone Variants: treated as unique domains and can have their own
delegtation NS and child hosts
(2) Same NS: must have same delegation NS as primary domain
(3) Alias Only: set as an alias to the primary domain at the registry

The actual determination (or algorithm if you will) to generate the
resulting variant set for a particular registry/region/language may be
different, but the "types" of variants can be better categorized (especially
to better create a standard provisioning protocol)... and I think these are
the possibilities... can anyone think of any other types?

Edmon