Re: Character Variant Deployment at VeriSign

At 11:07 20/05/03, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:06:10PM -0400,
 Kane, Pat <pkane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 51 lines which said:

> Later this summer, we intend to introduce a language tag so that a registrar
> or registrant can provide the appropriate language association for a new
> registration.

This "language tag" issue is quite new in the DNS and is quite
arbitrary. What is the language of coca-cola.com? Of vivendi.com?
Giving that most international companies take care to choose a name
that does not seem too local, Vivendi (a French-based company, whose
name is pseudo-latin) will not be happy to tag itself as "french" or
as "latin".

Amen.

Where can we find a detailed (?) pre-contractual(?) current(?) definition of the "language tag" as to be used by Verisign? And the list of the intended language tags? Will it be RFC 3066 compliant?

Several efforts are engaged to develop/update resellers tools. We would like to provide in our link list the links to the Registry/ccTLD documentation as it becomes avaliable - and to peruse this documentation to ask questions of help. One of the question we asked and not answered yet is how the Registries intend to address legal decisions which may affect/oppose the variant system and langage tag (wording has to be extremely carefull not to violate French laws).

We think that another important issue is the consistency between TLD and SLD Managers policies. A global agreement must be found on the way registrations services will be provided and supported, but most of all documented. I am personnally most concerned by these scSLD Manager aspects. The multilingual vs internationalized issue is why I am personnally involved in Eurolinc, but it starts with the consistency of the legal contractual vernacular language across registries and sub-registries. The cost of a single contractual word misunderstanding may be devastating.

jfc morfin
Eurolinc-WG-IDN.
http://eurolinc.org