From: Stephane Bortzmeyer [mailto:bortzmeyer@xxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 5:08 AM
To: Kane, Pat
Cc: idn-reg-policy@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Character Variant Deployment at VeriSign

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:06:10PM -0400,
 Kane, Pat <pkane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 51 lines which said:

> Later this summer, we intend to introduce a language tag so that a
registrar
> or registrant can provide the appropriate language association for a new
> registration.

This "language tag" issue is quite new in the DNS and is quite
arbitrary. What is the language of coca-cola.com? Of vivendi.com?
Giving that most international companies take care to choose a name
that does not seem too local, Vivendi (a French-based company, whose
name is pseudo-latin) will not be happy to tag itself as "french" or
as "latin".