Re: Character Variant Deployment at VeriSign

Langauge tags could potentially be displayed in the WHOIS.

Langauge tags help determine the "set" or "package" or "bundle" of domains
to be reserved/registered/entered into zone/etc.  It potentially also
provides an indication of whether a domain was registered "in bad faith",
although not necessarily key, but could help determine that.  E.g. if a
registrant registers an apparently meaningless domain in a langauge which
happens to create a reserved variant in a trademark for another langauge,
this could potentially be identified as intentionally registering "in bad
faith".  Though I am not a lawyer, these are my thoughts.

About domains with a language tag value of "null".
While it is not a good idea, we are however stuck with a legacy problem.
All domains previously registered (English domains and domains that contain
only basic ASCII alphanumeric characters more importantly) do not currently
have a "language tag".  How do we deal with those names should be discussed
and in the future, perhaps the "language" should be determined... but for
now, I think it is important to tolerate a "null" language tag.  Or if that
is not good, then perhaps "unidentified" instead of "null".

Edmon