Re: Character Variant Deployment at VeriSign

Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Langauge tags help determine the "set" or "package" or "bundle" of
> domains to be reserved/registered/entered into zone/etc.

How?  I want to understand this, and I still don't.

EPA (using Latin letters) is an abbreviation of the English name
"Environmental Protection Agency".  Perhaps Eta Pi Alpha (which looks
like EPA) is an abbreviation of some Greek name, and perhaps Ie Er A
(which also looks like EPA) is an abbreviation of some Russian name.

Now suppose EPA is tagged as English, Eta Pi Alpha is tagged as Greek,
and Ie Er A is tagged as Russian.  How might those tags influence the
creation of bundles in a way that helps prevent or resolve disputes?
Would the bundles be less effective in preventing/resolving disputes if
they were created without the use of language tags?  Why?

> It potentially also provides an indication of whether a domain was
> registered "in bad faith", although not necessarily key, but could
> help determine that.  E.g. if a registrant registers an apparently
> meaningless domain in a langauge which happens to create a reserved
> variant in a trademark for another langauge, this could potentially be
> identified as intentionally registering "in bad faith".

This use of the language tag, as you decribe it, doesn't happen until a
dispute has arisen.  You could get the same effect if, instead of asking
the registrant for the language at registration time, you ask for it
when the dispute arises.

It might be reasonable for dispute resolution proceedings to consider
language information, but I'm not ready to think about that.  Such
policies apply only after disputes have arisen, and they are applied
manually by humans.  Right now I'm more interested in how language tags
would be useful technically for automated processing at registration
time.

AMC