Re: Character Variant Deployment at VeriSign

James Seng <jseng@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I just thought of a related problem.  Suppose W and X are variants,
> > and X and Y are variants, and Y and Z are variants, but no other
> > pairs are variants.  Suppose someone registers W, which reserves X,
> > and someone else registers Z, which reserves Y.  The two registrants
> > can then activate their reserved labels, and now X and Y (which are
> > variants) are registered to different people.
>
> Yes.  But X & Y are variants in some context (language) which is
> different from what makes W & X variant and Y & Z variant.
>
> Hence, in this case, what we ends up with is a package1 of W & X and
> another package2 of Y & Z and no one can own a package of X & Y.
> Neither package1 nor package2 registrant would "complain" because they
> already got what they want as far as their concern.

This might make sense to the registrants, but it will still be confusing
to end users for whom X and Y are variants, and I think we should
be trying to help all users, not just registrants.  And even the
registrants, after they discover that their domains are being confused
by some users, might start complaining.

AMC