[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
rfc2822bis: "originator of the message" and "transmitter" not defined
- To: ietf-822@xxxxxxx
- Subject: rfc2822bis: "originator of the message" and "transmitter" not defined
- From: Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+ietf@xxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:28:51 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ijs.si; h= x-virus-scanned:received:received:received:from:organization:to: subject:date:user-agent:mime-version:content-type: content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:message-id; q= dns/txt; s=jakla2; t=1200439735; x=1203031735; bh=xlVTv7AZt/tJYv CvVTnLFVW6tmxXiHFYXgiVRqV17hI=; b=Awd7798GEPs5eHKsQZJaCeGaF6gged 4kSDIz7lpR9S/OTuav92U8n7ufMx9oJ/C5C0fcRiExXiW90g2TlDpEG5tQeLVXQg 7RBMUSXqB8gDLsHW36s99NVqnc86xcTX0liKDwkuDVWtbH2m4fU08eTIqYIrkg5j Hvcmr9eJAnLvY=
- List-archive: <http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/mail-archive/>
- List-id: <ietf-822.imc.org>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:email@example.com?body=unsubscribe>
- Organization: Jozef Stefan Institute
- Sender: owner-ietf-822@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: KMail/1.9.7
> The originator fields indicate the mailbox(es) of the source of the
> message. The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
> that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
> for the writing of the message. The "Sender:" field specifies the
> mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
> message. For example, if a secretary were to send a message for
> another person, the mailbox of the secretary would appear in the
> "Sender:" field and the mailbox of the actual author would appear in
> the "From:" field. If the originator of the message can be indicated
> by a single mailbox and the author and transmitter are identical, the
> "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used. Otherwise, both fields SHOULD
In this paragraph a term "originator of the message" is used for the first
and the only time, and is nowhere defined. Other text only speaks of
"originator fields" (= From, Sender, Reply-To).
Also, the term "transmitter" is used here for the first time too,
and is never defined.
The proper term could be borrowed from the:
> The "Sender:" field specifies the mailbox of the agent responsible
> for the actual transmission of the message.
'originator of the message'
should actually be:
'mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual
transmission of the message'
(although this is unsightly long and repeating the just said)
'transmitter' (if it were defined elsewhere)
Looks like a term needs to be invented for the agent specified in
a Sender field, or the text rephrased to avoid the need for a