Revoking the smtps TCP port

Greetings again. Some of you noticed that the revocation of the smtps port
was removed at the last minute from draft-hoffman-smtp-ssl (which, for
those of you who missed it, has been sent on to the RFC editor as a
Proposed Standard). I took it out during the last steps at the request of
Jeff Schiller, who was concerned that it might cause delay with the IESG.

After the draft was sent to the RFC Editor, I sent a request to IANA,
including the text that had been in the earlier version of the draft and a
note that this had been widely discussed. They removed the port from the
official list.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium