Re: TURN and disconnected SMTP with dynamic IP addresses

First off, I think this discussion should be on ietf-disconn-smtp@xxxxxxx
only, not on DRUMS, since it doesn't have anything to do with 821 or 822:
it has to do with an extension.

At 8:46 AM -0700 9/30/97, Jack De Winter wrote:
>Was talking with Paul Hoffman from the IMC, and we came up with
>a manner to make ETRN work in a failsafe mode.

Well, in thinking about it more, I realized where we need to change it a
bit from Jack's description

>Assume that we come out with an extra parameter for the ETRN command
>so that:
>
>C: ETRN <node> <key>
>S: 250 OK
>
>causes a connection to be forced to the given node.  When the connection
>is established, we add an extra part of the EHLO parameters so that we
>would receive:

>250-ETRN
>250-ETRNID <key>
>
>when we establish the connection.

This doesn't work for the remote office that has more than one mail holder,
or if the remote office has asked twice (using two different keys). I think
we really need to have the original client put out two keys, and the
original server, when it reconnects (as a client) announces one of them.
Thus, the above would be changed to:

Assume that we come out with an extra parameter for the ETRN command
so that:

C: ETRN <node> <key1> <key2>
S: 250 OK

causes a connection to be forced to the given node.  When the connection
is established, we add an extra part of the EHLO parameters so that we
would receive:

250-ETRN
250-ETRNID

when we establish the connection.  The new client (the old server) would
then give the command:

C: ETRNID key1

The new server (the old client) replies with:

S: 250 key2

That way, if there are many pending key1's, the now-server would know which
to respond to.

Further, I think that the keys should be optional, so that current systems
that don't need them (those with believable fixed IP addresses) can
interoperate with this new system.

Again, unless anyone disagrees, please let's keep this discussion off of
DRUMS and on ietf-disconn-smtp. Thanks!

--Paul E. Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium