RE: IANAL and neither are you

I agree with Ann on this one, I think that it is difficult to claim
that a policy of not reading patents that you have good reason to
beleive may be infringed represents due dilligence.

But the position is far from unusual in US corporations. I know of
several global 500 brands where the policy is engineers do not
read patents.

Which kind of reduces the point of the exercise if patents are
meant to be a way of encouraging sharing of ideas. There needs
to be a root an branch reform of the patent system. Unfortunately
this is not currently within the scope of this group's charter.