[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Draft Minutes of OpenPGP
Attached are the draft minutes for the OpenPGP meeting. In short:
1) 2440bis should go to WGLC later this month
2) new milestones were proposed by the chair and no objections noted
3) there appears to be interest in adopting new work: the message-header
-- Introduction and Agenda Bashing
-- 2440 bis status
- In "pentultimate last call" for some time (over a year) - now only doing tweaks to the document.
- If you want changes in wording - need to be compatable and suggest text.
- Only open issue is David Shaw's BNF request for literal+literal. No reason not to include David Shaw's request, but not in draft 14. Should go into 15
- Run last call and finish this document
- Use difference documents for new work - downside is that not everything will be in a small number of documents. Good news is that will have a fixed definitive document
-- 2440 next steps
- Go to Last call. finish by end of August
- Try for a bake off? try for Draft Standard. (early in '06)
- update milestones - proposal given.
- Draft standard would be tried for 6 months after IESG approval.
- New Life
- New documents not hit 2440bis.
-- Proposed Milestones
- No Objections
--- Message Header
- standardize some X- headers for PGP.
- Lookup URL and key id of a sender
- simplified original by dropping some unnecessary data.
- key id - longer fingerprint - url to key
- What is the problem to be solved?
- Not completely clear
- invent header that could be used programatically to lookup key and keyid of sender
- Manual cut & paste?
- request for additinoal current usage of old headers for inclusion in the doument.
- Open Issuses:
- Add token to state strong preference for reciving PGP and potentially the PGP format to be sent.
- IETF process restricted to MIME?
- place same info into a packet?
- Keyserver field?
- unsure of what this would be really for. Next expansion of the idea.
- BNF problems on the draft need corrections.
JON - Supports idea of draft - supports "supports token" - PGP has a similar item already used. used with different values for different reading devices.
- Wants support to plain inline text - kill mime and only use plain text as a personal preference.
- response - Need additional proposals to solve some of the problems?
JON - display problems not format issues - Don't ban text only w/o mime wrappers.
8-bit character set problems with servers -
Vigourous dispute on issues with character sets.
Thomas ? - two formats - with and w/o tag - please elimiate the tag version.
??? - Please add finger print header - used for validation.
- possible support already?
JON - KeyID is a trucated fingerprint - allow for longer id to get fuller fingerprint w/o much additional parsing.
- -00 to -01 allowed for longer KeyID from a fixed length.
--- Open Discussion
- Meeting closed.
Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
Computer and Internet Security Consultant