RE: Copying smart cards. Was: A PKI Question: PKCS11-> PKCS12

I can see Anders way of doing things if the key o the card was only
being used for signing.  Thus, when a new device is instantiated by the
CA, the cert on the old device can be put on a revocation list.  The
signature check mechanism can still validate signatures done using the
old device as long as they are before the revocation date.
However, if I use the key on the card for encryption, then I would
really like to move my key to a newer safer, better card.  Or I may want
to consolidate more than one private key onto a card.
I envision, having keys from an employer, a bank, federal or state
government identifying keys; all on the same card.  They should,
however,  be protected with separate pins, so that I can unlock a
particular key without cross contamination.

Thanks
Baber
:)

>>> Hal Lockhart <hal.lockhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/28/01 09:32AM >>>
So you get a new cert and a new key pair. In what sense is this a
copy?

Hal