Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-sasl-scram-02

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

On 7/28/09 1:09 PM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Simon Josefsson wrote:
Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Simon Josefsson wrote:
Regarding

[tls-unique]
           Zhu, L., "Registration of TLS unique channel binding
           (generic)", IANA http://www.iana.org/assignments/
           channel-binding-types/tls-unique, July 2008.

I think we should replace that with a reference to

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-altman-tls-channel-bindings-05
This would mean a new normative reference and would delay publication
of both documents.
While I think it would be nice to use this reference, I am against
blocking SCRAM and GS2 on this.
OK, I'm fine with that -- it will mean a downref (right?), and I assumed
those causes other sorts of problems that could be avoided.
I am not entirely sure if it is. But I don't think it will be
problematic with IESG, even if it.
I must say that point to the IANA registration as the definitive
reference for tls-unique confused me, since it is not a specification.
If we could somehow include a reference to the I-D, I think that we
could avoid confusing some implementers.
The reference includes the whole definition.
If the draft describing this in more details is published, I would have no problems referencing it.

But as I said earlier, I would rather not block on this extra document.