OpenSSL S/MIME validation against draft-ietf-smime-examples?

Hi

[openssl-0.9.6, WinNT4sp6]

I tried to verify OpenSSL's S/MIME implementation using the sample messages in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-examples-06.txt

First I ran into problems with their base64 encoding, which was rejected by OpenSSL due to long lines. To make OpenSSL decode these files, I reformatted the contents to fit into the 80 character/line restriction.

Then I tried the tests 5.1 and 5.9 (Basic DH-DSS signed contents, CMS and S/MIME formatted).

No matter what I tried (different certificates, different options) I couldn't make OpenSSL verify the document signature. The certificate chain verification works, though. I tried something like the following (after having converted the supplied certificates to pem):

$ openssl smime -verify -certfiles AliceDss.pem -CAfile CarlDssSelf.pem -in 5.9.eml
This is some sample content.Verification Failure
386:error:0A071003::lib(10) :DSA_do_verify:BN lib:.\crypto\dsa\dsa_ossl.c:288:
386:error:21071069:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_signatureVerify:signature failure:.\cryp
to\pkcs7\pk7_doit.c:815:
386:error:21075069:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_verify:signature failure:.\crypto\pkcs7\
pk7_smime.c:248:

A side comment, I tried the first basic validation test of the NIST X.509 Path Validation suite (http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/testing/x509paths.html), which works. That one uses RSA.

Has anyone successfully verified the OpenSSL S/MIME implementation with these samples?
Are the samples incorrect? Am I using OpenSSL incorrectly?

Regards,
Mats Nilsson