Re: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 01:42:18PM -0400, Hector wrote:
Here is the thing, IMO, the prize at the end of the day is:

      Fastest, less waste in Delivery and High Throughput

For many, an email today has "No Value" tomorrow, especially in the
business world.  I'm sure that is the normal expectation for most
systems and people expecting timely emails.

Richard Kulawiec stated:

The problem here, I think, isn't the technology: it's unrealistic and/or
misplaced expectations.  If I might quote my own haiku on this subject:

	Mail is not the web
	Mail is not for file transfer
	Mail is not I M

It's certainly true that a subset of people expect mail to be very
fast; it might even be true that this subset is large enough that
it's "normal".  But I don't think that necessarily means we should
engineer to meet that expectation, just as I don't think the propensity
of some people to attempt transfer of 100M files via email means that
we should engineer to make that feasible.

I agree. What's more, I think the "no value" premise seems to contradict the massive efforts undertaken by some very large companies to maintain user trust in email. I have to think given the weight behind those efforts that it's not so easily dismissed as a fool's errand.

Who said anything dismissing efforts? For many, the longer email is delayed, the less value it has. That "premise" is not contradictive of anything or any efforts to improve the timely/acceptance delivery problem. There are many representations here - the issues apply to everyone who is the business of supplying SMTP software or who operate mail systems of any size. Lets not create a chasm once again.

Maybe a shorter way to put that last paragraph is that if we agree that
reasonably timely delivery of mail is a Good Thing, then I think we have
many other problems to tackle before we turn our attention to
greylisting.

Agree here too.

It timely delivery is still important. But the reality is GL is contributing to that problem. GL is something that we can grasp and so far, almost everyone here agrees a IETF document should help in some manner, if only to document the BCP.

I don't think you are grasping that for many GL rejections is going beyond the first attempt.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com