Re: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

Keith Moore wrote:
On Oct 17, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Hector wrote:

It seems there is a majority consensus that a IETF document for Greylisting would be a worthy effort.

I'm still unconvinced.  I haven't seen any evidence to support this at all.

hmmm, unless I mis-read people's input, many people contributing to the thread recognized there are issues and most have indicated a note that a IETF document for greylisting would be a good thing.

I believe you cited an interest in an SMTP extension for a retry hint.

If I understand the "IETF" document breaking, as Murray describe, a BCP for Greylisting could not proposed a change to SMTP so based on that comment, they would be two documents:

   BCP - For GreyListing
   SMTP Extension for a Retry=Hint

If people believe the SMTP extension can cover both, that is fine by me.

In addition, as Steve Atkins proposed, if we wish to wrap this under a "SMTP Traffic Management" guideline, that also fine by me.

But I do believe that will begin to make it all more complicated if it goes beyond the basic 4zy issues mostly related to Greylisting and the need for an optional retry hint structured response concept.

--
HLS