Re: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

On 17/10/2011 18:46, Keith Moore wrote:

BTW, Keith, many GL servers already have responses with hints.
yes, I know.   but just because someone decided to add a %d to a printf doesn't mean it should be standardized.

I must be missing something. I'm struggling to see why so many people think that changing a server that gives a hint from saying

  421 This server implements greylisting, please try again in # seconds

to saying

421 [retry=#s] This server implements greylisting, please try again in # seconds

could possibly be a bad thing...

If the [retry=#s] gets ignored, then, so what. If it's there then it is much easier to parse for someone who decides they want to try to cooperate with the other end

IMV, an experimental extension to 5321 saying that a 4xx response can optionally have a "[retry=#s]" hint should be non-controversial and straight forward. It may not achieve much, but it may help a bit, and it would not have a down side as far as I can see.

Maybe there are other things to worry about in SMTP that could have more benefit, but things like DKIM are a lot more complex to specify and implement and are more likely to cause interoperability issues. What's wrong with doing very simple things as well as the complex things?