RE: Media types, fragment identifiers, and XPointer

It would be good if we could extend the MIME registry of media
types to include, where possibly, a description of how
"fragment identifiers" apply to that media type.

Currently this information is not in the media type registry,
and fragment identifiers are, in practice, only used for HTML.

To make this useful might mean some extensions to current
platform definitions of MIME dispatch (to pass along the
fragment identifier to the media type rendering agent), but
it was desirable to have named or identified components for
other types. If there's a general definition of how this
works for XML types that aren't otherwise specified, that's
great, too.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter