Re: Introduction of media types for XML DTDs

Thank you very much, Ned. I have come to believe that we only need
application/xml-dtd.

Terry Allen wrote:
> For the case when it is desired to display the DTD, Ned stated that
> text/xml was the wrong way to go, and suggested that something else,
> such as content-disposition, could be used to cue the user agent to
> display as text.  Does any such method work today?

Yes, you can tell browsers to invoke Notepad.

John Cowan wrote:

> On the contrary; it is a weakness of current browsers that there
> is no way to tell them "Display such-and-such a media type as
> text/plain in the main window."

At best, this is a criticizm on current browsers.  Moreover, even
current browsers make me happy, since I can tell them "Display
such-and-such a media type as with my faviroite text viewer
(which is not IE 5.0)"

Miles Sabin wrote:
>  Most users won't ever do that,
> but that seems fairly slender grounds for throwing away
> at MIME level the knowledge that DTD text is text.

Browsers only have to invoke text editors when they encounter application/xml-dtd.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx