Re: Announcement of an I-D

Chris Lilley wrote:

> MURATA Makoto wrote:
> > Q1.  If you introduce a media type "image/svg",  you can certainly introduce
> > SVG-specific fragment
> > identifiers.
>
> There are two issues here.
>
> Firstly, since it is defining a media type, it needs to define what the
> fragment identifier syntax is. We use XPointer, but in this release
> restict it to pointing to IDs. This is because we want a spec that is
> fully implemented very rapidly.
>
> Later versions will probably remove this restriction, once XLink and
> XPointer are more established.

16.2.2 "SVG fragment identifiers" of the latest draft of SVG [1] introduces
SVG view specifications such as "MyDrawing.svg#svgView(viewBox(0,200,1000,1000)))".

Chris Lilley wrote:

> I would like to understand what you mean by "SVG fragment identifier"
> before being able to answer how I feel. I need to understand your
> question better first.

Let me reformulate my question.  Suppose that I have an XHTML document.
The first subsection of the second section has an embedded SVG.

I would like to use an XPointer to specify "the SVG in the first subsection
of the second section".  Then, I would like to obtain a region of this SVG
by using an SVG view specficiation such as svgView(viewBox(0,200,1000,1000))).

I would like to combine the XPointer and the SVG view specfication to form a
fragment identifier.  I think I cannot do this, since SVG view speficiations
require image/svg and XPointer requires text/xml or application/xml (or */*-xml).
Am I right?

#Probably, I am repeating the debate Gavin did long time ago.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata.makoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx