Re: Media types for XSL stylesheets

At 10:47 AM 10/12/99 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>MURATA Makoto scripsit:
>
>> I think that such an embedded portion INHERITS the media type of the
>> document.  Even if a stylesheet linking PI specifies a different media
type,
>> it is merely ignored.
>
>Not necessarily.  A portion of image/gif is by no means an image/gif.
>Media types exist so that uninterpreted bytes get an interpretation,
>but internal resources have already been interpreted.

I guess I'd like to ask at this point whether XML-based media types are
sufficiently different from other media types that this interpretation is
no longer necessarily _mandatory_.

In large part, the interests I have in XML revolve around the fact that any
well-formed portion of an XML document is itself an XML document, and that
distinction between 'internal' and 'external' resources no longer matters
nearly as strongly.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.
Building XML Applications