Re: Fwd: request for application/smil

Murata,

I was very much aware of your draft. In fact, it has
already been proposed to adopt it when reviewing this registration
on www-smil
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-smil/1999OctDec/0015.html

However, the use of "application/smil" predates the proposal of
appending "-xml" to XML-based MIME types by more than a year - I think
the first Internet draft dates from April '98. The proposal has
already been succesfully reviewed in the past on ietf-types,
but somebody dropped the ball bringing it to the IESG. Given
this history, and that there is an installed base, it seems reasonable
to stick with the current practice of using "application/smil".

-Philipp