Re: Fwd: request for application/smil

Philipp,

> However, the use of "application/smil" predates the proposal of
> appending "-xml" to XML-based MIME types by more than a year - I think
> the first Internet draft dates from April '98. The proposal has
> already been succesfully reviewed in the past on ietf-types,
> but somebody dropped the ball bringing it to the IESG. Given
> this history, and that there is an installed base, it seems reasonable
> to stick with the current practice of using "application/smil".

The use of "application/xml" implies that those who are not aware
of this specialized media type cannot do anything even if they can
handle XML.  If SMIL people live with this disadvantage, I would not
oppose to this charset name.

However, in order not to make an antecedent, I would like the I-D to mention
this name convention and reasons not to follow it.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata.makoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx