RE: reason for application/iotp-xml (was RE: Registration of MIME med ia type APPLICATION/IOTP)

> > >why?  is there really much value in a default treatment
> > of text/* xml
> > >documents as plain text?  (the default doesn't seem to
> > work well in
> > >practice for text/html) or is xml really likely to be used for
> > >image/*, audio/*, video/*, or model/* content?

> I think that this actually argues in favor of 'xml/' as a top level.
> It is certainly true that at least some level of processing can be
> done on any XML document by generic XML processors whether or not
> they understand anything at all about the rest of the type - that's
> one of the primary design goals of XML.  The 'text/' top level type
> is probably the _only_ other MIME type for which that is true - the
> notion of something useful being possible with an arbitrary
> 'video/foo' type that my application doesn't understand just doesn't
> fly.

Flies fine for me on a regular basis. I tend to use MIME stuff on two
systems, one which supports default top-level handling and the other
does not. In the case of the latter system, scarcely a month goes by
where I don't have to go through a tedious process of adding entries. In the
case of the former, it has been literally *years* since I've touched my
MIME settings.

				Ned