Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

At 17:15 00/03/14 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:

> MURATA Makoto wrote:

> > We are all aware of this problem.  We are also aware of transcoders
> > which changes the charset parameter but does not rerwrite encoding
> > declarations.
>
> Yes - such behaviour is clearly broken. Since a transcoder is changing many
> or all the other bytes in the file, expecting it to also correctly update
> the encoding declaration rather than leaving it broken is not asking too
> much.

I completely disagree. A trancoder transcodes. A transcoder may know
about a few (or a lot of) encodings. It is absolutely unreasonable
to ask for a transcoder to know all kinds of data formats, and
where in that data format some encoding hints are hidden (if they are).

If we had only XML on the internet, that would be different,
but that's not at all the case (yet).

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, I18N Activity Lead, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@xxxxxx   http://www.w3.org/People/D%C3%BCrst