Resend! Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

Sorry...last send was garbled

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, MURATA Makoto wrote:
>
> > Are you saying that each format should invent their own rules for
> > indicating the charset?  My understanding was (and still is) that
> > you as an I18n guy at W3C are promoting a single generalized solution
> > for all textual formats.

Please let us stick with the rationale for having text/xml and
application/xml in the first place: that the former is useful
in all the cases where transcoding/newline-fiddling/defaulting-to-
text-viewer was useful and the latter is useful when we want to
prevent trancoding/newline-fiddling/defaulting-to-text-viewer.

It should always be an error of some kind if the charset parameter
does not agree with the encoding attribute (or other Appendix F
mechanism), for application/xml documents.

If that constraint is in place, then there is no harm in having
a charset paramter or treating it as significant: it is just being
treated as co-equal with the Appendix F algorithm.

Rick Jelliffe