Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

At 08:09 00/03/15 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> At 10:39 PM 3/15/00 +0800, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> >	3) In all cases, if the document starts with a BOM,
> >	the charset parameter must indicate which flavour
> >	of UTF-16 is being used. There is no default.
> >	Failure is an unrecoverable error, for general
> >	applications. Detection is not mandatory, but should
> >	be made so at some future date.
> >The reason for 3) is that, as Murata-san's proposed
> >Japanese Profile of XML makes clear, there are Japanese flavours
> >of Unicode floating about. So just relying on the BOM is not
> >satisfactory.

Please be careful. There are no multiple flavors of Unicode.
There are multiple flavors of conversion tables between
Japanese legacy encodings and Unicode.

So this does not affect UTF-16 at all.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, I18N Activity Lead, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@xxxxxx   http://www.w3.org/People/D%C3%BCrst