Re: Finishing the XML-tagging discussion

> now you're moving from the realm of specifying 'features' or
> 'default handling' of the object into specifying layered encodings.
> and this was something that we were very unwilling to do when
> we defined MIME.  The feeling was that having an arbitrary
> number of cascaded encodings was likely to be detrimental to
> interoperability.

I thought this too until I realized these were simply strawman names in
Martin's example. I wish he had used other names since the ones he chose invite
criticism of this sort. OTOH, we've been unable to come up with a good example
of a possible suffix that would be orthogonal to -xml...

In any case, MIME flatly forbids the specification of encodings as content
types, so this is a moot point.

				Ned