Re: Finishing the XML-tagging discussion

At 10:27 AM 3/21/00 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>Graham Klyne wrote:
>> (b) register a conneg feature tag to indicate XML content;  I would suggest
>> something along the lines of (XML-namespace="<URI>"), where <URI> is an XML
>> namespace identifier, as that would allow negotiation to specific XML
>> applications.
>Which namespace?  It is already common for documents to refer to more than
>one XML namespace.

Hmmm, if you believe this is a good idea, the answer is obvious: the
namespace of the root element.  The notion of content-negotiation based
on namespaces had never crossed my mind, but it has a very powerful feel
to it; surely somebody has thought of this?  Particularly in b2b-land,
where it seems inevitable that there are going to be several competing
ways to encode an invoice or a catalogue-enquiry or whatever, each ID'ed
by namespace. -Tim