Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

In message "Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376",
Rick Jelliffe wrote...

 >I take your point, but it  sidesteps the issue of
 >what someone is supposed to do when they type in Yen and
 >their "UTF-*"-labelled data comes out with the codepoint
 >for "/" being used. In that case, strictly they have
 >used the wrong mapping table and they have corrupted their
 >data; but if we can give them a way to escape into the
 >bliss of standard Unicode by labelling the variant encoding
 >they have effectively used.

This issue is very annoying, and I have failed to find
any good solutions.  I think that the best solution is to migrate
to Unicode.

 >The proposed Japanese Profile for XML, which Murata-san
 >has been the leading light, says that there needs to be
 >extra IANA-registered sets to cover this problem.

Actually, although some names are used in the document, they
are not intended to be submitted to the ietf-charset list.

----
MURATA Makoto  muraw3c@xxxxxxxxxxxxx