Re: Requiring charset parameter on +xml types?

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Mark Baker wrote:

> Would requiring this parameter help solve the problem of those broken
> web servers that I've heard about that mislabel non-US-ASCII encoded
> text/* content as US-ASCII?

No.  Servers would just be setup to provide some default and system
administrators would not change it, or just use something convenient.

It can only work if there is also a mechanism transfering encoding
information from the generator of the entity to the HTTP system. This is
nice for program-generated data, but for data that has to sit on a file
system or be edoted by hand it is unworkable.

Rick Jelliffe
Academia Sinica Computing Center